Anyone can dress like a teenager, inject Botox nonstop, and dye grays into oblivion. But looking good and feeling powerful at any age requires subtlety. Experts reveal the foods that combat wrinkles, the most effective destressors, and the hair-color tricks that take off years.

Seductive Dressing

It's been just over 35 years since Diane von Furstenberg designed her first wrap dress, and her attitudes about fashion, youth, and beauty have remained as consistent as that iconic dress's popularity. "Clothes are not about clothes, and looking great is not about age," she says. Translation: Her philosophy is based on simplicity, ease, and occasionally a great bracelet.

Do you think that sexiness is intrinsically linked to youth?

As a rule, I prefer the word "seductive" to "sexy." "Seductive" sounds less aggressive, maybe because the x in the word "sexy" seems so harsh. I think there is nothing more seductive than a woman who doesn't try. When you stop hunting, when you stop trying for it, you are more becoming -- and, to some degree, you are more seductive. I don't agree with our tendency to glorify youth. I never really understand it when I see someone freak about turning 30. There is something helpless about being a child. I always looked older than my age, and I loved that, because I always wanted to be in charge of myself.

Do Europeans have a different attitude about this than Americans?

I think so. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's a European thing. Obviously I don't have the body or the face I used to have, but I personally think of every wrinkle as a souvenir, and I don't want to erase every moment of my life. You should enjoy who you are -- keep fit, eat well, and maintain a healthy body, but enjoy the aging process.

How does dressing seductively change as you age?

Seduction has nothing to do with how you dress, but everything to do with your attitude and how comfortable you are with yourself. You can wear a long black dress that covers everything, but people will gravitate toward you because of your attitude and your personality. You have to find what complements you, because what is always unsexy is to be uncomfortable in what you're wearing. The longer you live, the more comfortable you are with yourself. It might take years for you to appreciate that you have great legs or that you look beautiful when you sit a certain way. The beauty of youth is called la beaut¨¦ du diable, "the beauty of the devil," because you are too young to appreciate it. You may be 18 and gorgeous and in a little bathing suit getting out of the pool, but you are too young to know your own beauty. This is the curse as well as the beauty of youth.

What is your idea of the perfect look right now for someone in her 20s or 30s?
No matter what age you are, when you put on a piece of clothing, you should immediately be drawn to the silhouette, the fabric; it should feel comfortable and flattering. If you have to dress up for a ball and it's a very special evening, maybe you'll wear something that is a real work of art and put comfort second, but I still believe if you're comfortable in it, it will look and feel even better.

What do you think will never go out of style, for any age?

Blue jeans, the little black cocktail dress, and a great turtleneck. And I shouldn't be saying this myself, but I think the wrap dress is timeless. Your own spirit and sexiness come partly from clothes, but not just from them.

What do you think are some other important qualities that convey a youthful, exuberant, mysterious aura?

There are so many components that go into looking seductive. There is good skin; healthy, shiny hair that looks like it's alive; and great legs. God, legs are so important, but unfortunately, you're either born with good legs or you're not. I'm also a sucker for jewelry -- I don't know why, but it makes me feel powerful. I could basically be wearing anything, and when I put on a big, bold ring or a chunky bracelet, I feel powerful.

-- DANIELLE PERGAMENT